Skip to main content

For COVID-19 updates, visit the official government website

18 August 2023


The Langeberg Municipality, in their ongoing effort to aid poverty alleviation in the municipal area, currently supports a total of 6043 households who are deemed as indigent. These indigent households are residential consumers with a monthly household income of less than R 4190. Residential properties valued up to R80 000, are also exempted from paying rates.

Section 27 of the South African Constitution states that: "Everyone has the right to have access to social security, including, if they are unable to support themselves and their dependents, appropriate social assistance. The state must take reasonable legislative and other measures, within its available resources, to achieve the progressive realization of each of these rights"; and the indigent subsidy is merely one way the Langeberg Municipality adheres to the act.

Beneficiaries of the subsidy receive the following for free:
• their first six kiloliters of water
• their first 50 kilowatt-hours of electricity
• subsidy equally to the charges for waste collection and sewerage per month

The indigent grant will be withdrawn from any person who:
• Runs a spaza shop illegally from the premises receiving subsidy
• Allows illegal electricity connections to the premises receiving an indigent grant
• Subleases the premises receiving an indigent grant, which means that the applicant is not personally occupying the premises

Here is some important information to note if you want to apply for an indigent subsidy.

Documentation needed:
• Copy of ID and birth certificates of everyone staying on the property
• Proof of income of everyone staying on the property, i.e. pay slips, bank statements or an affidavit for unemployment or self employed
• Latest municipal account

Qualification criteria
• Applicable to households on residential property
• Own only one property
• Only the account holder may apply
• Full-time occupant of the residential property or where the registered owner is unable to occupy the property
• Joint household income must not exceed R4 190.00 per month

Any person who has received any benefit or relief in terms of this policy and who has misrepresented themselves in order to qualify for such benefit or relief will be deemed to have committed an offence and remedial measures will be taken in a manner as determined by the Council from time to time, and the Municipal Manager will reverse all benefits and relief received; and raise any fee, as determined by Council from time to time, as set out in the Tariff Policy. The Municipal Manager shall report any misrepresentation in terms of this policy to the South African Police Services.

For more information on the indigent subsidy and how to apply please contact the Credit Control Official/s of your specific town.

Mr. V Faleni
Ms. B Manual
023 615 8000

Mrs. M Davids
023 616 8000

Ms. M Page
Mrs. M Davids
023 615 8000

Ms. S Voorslag
Mr. E Fluks
023 614 8000

Mr. W. Mangqu
Ms. N Schoeman
023 626 8200